I remember clearly about 6 months ago when dagger first came into cage 1. He was jumping all around excitedly, probably thinking that his trip to GPF was going to be another play session...
On the very same day, I also remember him being enclosed in the room of cage 1, because the rest of the male dogs (especially Daryl) wanted to attack him.
Fast forward a month, he has settled into the shelter environment. Wagging his tail furiously and jumping onto me was a weekly sight whenever I'd pop by. Such an affectionate dog I thought..
Months passed and he grew up to be a handsome dog, fighting his way up the pack ladder and vying for the alpha spot with Daryl.
Though he does have his dominance issues with other dogs (especially male ones), he has never bitten any human. None. He would always find a human to sit and lie on, during the weekends where attention is aplenty.
I have always considered bringing him home where I can provide a better environment for him, and in return receive the joys of being a dog owner...
But now, he will be adopted by another adopter other than myself. The shelter where I've so actively volunteered for a year (probably only missed out 4 weekends amongst the >50+) has decided to let him be adopted by a complete stranger who doesn't even have P.R or a Singapore citizenship. Dagger has known me more than half his life and I've utilised all my time in ensuring he behaves his best and gets the best attention and treatment when I'm around. Having said all these, I find myself outclassed by a complete stranger. What a complete fiasco.
Haven't felt so upset in a long time, and I think it'll take awhile to let the scars of the loss of my potential dog to fade away..
-Khai =[
No comments:
Post a Comment