Over today's chit-chat and catching up with a few colleagues who im very close with, I've decided (again) to pen down my thoughts to remember the past and plan for the future by remembering how mistakes are made and how not to commit them again.
3 theories of people management:
1. Observe your boss. Learning and understanding your boss's personality is extremely vital to your future. A good boss promotes sharing in an encouraging environment where EVERYONE is involved and WANTS to perform even better. He acknowledges his workers' efforts and attitude at work with regard to both people and matters. He generously rewards the deserving and further motivates the rest to be like them. He embraces change (since it is inevitable anyway) and is pro-active in allowing his workers to take charge and learn from the changes (good or bad).
Inversely, an inflexible boss equates to less productivity, motivation, creativity and willing-ness to share.
2. Observe your colleagues. Do they stop discussion once you draw near? Are they willing or even pro-active in sharing work and/or personal life issues with you? Do they approach you for help? Do they thank you?
If the answer is "no" to all of the above, you might be facing issues with your colleagues. I'm glad I can say that these signs are spotted at my workplace, and I'm glad to have a awesome working/friend relationship with them (most, anyway).
Understanding how your colleague feels about you is important at work as it means how people see you as a person, whether is it your personality or work efficiency, and this can be translated into both tangible (think bonus) and intangible assets (think favours and friendship and respect and many more gained).
-Underlined text is quoted from a ex-boss i respect.
3. Observe yourself! I guess this forms the basis of your performance in life! Many neglect this important self-reflection that should happen constantly.
Be honest with yourself. What strengths and weaknesses do you think you have? Do the strengths and weaknesses you possess coincide with what others perceive you to have? Are you value-adding yourself to others?
If "yes", then good for you! You're on the road to success. A person who is well-liked by his colleagues and bosses will be on his/her way up the corporate ladder really quickly!
If "no", you gotta start reviewing the reasons why it is not so =/
==========================
Just had the mood to pen these thoughts down as I see people (myself included) making mistakes so every often.
I shall quote again from my favourite basketball player of all times, Michael Jordan:
1. “The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether its proper technique, work ethic or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.”
2. “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.”
Some decent food for thought I hope!
Signing Off,
-Khai
No comments:
Post a Comment